The Story...

My photo
Russel and Anneke, established 9.24.2011

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Dia Dos

Another long day! It started off bright and early, when my Irish phone alarm clock brightly woke me up to one of those crazy tunes. Then I promptly decided to go back to bed. A half an hour later, I skyped Russ, and after hearing some of my host-family moving about, went into the salon. Damian was up, and I chatted and watched the Simpsons with him... then the jet lag kicked in. I went back and laid in mi cama, thinking that I was only going to sleep 'like another hour'.

Four hours later, Santos y Violeta wanted to make sure that I was still alive in my coma like state. 

The rest of the day was lazy... and glorious. After a quick breakfast of leche con caca y galletas, I caught up on all the American facebooking, thank you card writing, and skyping I needed. Violeta was watching a movie; a few minutes in, I recognized Gweneth Paltrow, sin her sexy gravelly voice, and con una voz muy high pitched. It was a rated R movie... need I say more? They did tell us that the Spanish have no personal bubbles, and have much affection for eachother. 

The entire OSU class met at Cafeteria Lisboa in the afternoon (7 en la tarde) for a merienda and sangria (if anything makes me gain weight, it's going to be the lovely combination of wine, sugar and fruit). We compared stories: fantastically, there were more than me who had watched movie scenes suggested only for adults, had nodded their head enthusiastically when they didn't understand a word that was said, and had made great friends with their host family. 

Some brave souls of our group who had seen Santander in daylight decided to go to los barrios por unos cervezas. I was not so brave. But as it turns out, Bianca, Jimmy and I ended up in a scary place anyway.

We hopped on Bus numero 13, me not really knowing but thinking that I would just catch the connection to my bus, numero 4, and Jimmy and Bianca very seguros en their route. We knew that we had missed their parada and my connection when we arrived at the Cementarios de Santander. Yep, wordreference.com that. It's cemetary. 

Una hora y media, one cat-call and a confused conversation with an elderly senora later, I found the right bus. At that punto, I realized that my apartment was actually about two blocks down from the closest bus stop (which was where I had gotten off). And right then estaba lluvia

Amazingly, I made it to my vecino sin incident. I even unlocked the front door all by myself. I got to what I thought was the door, and tried mis llaves. It didn't work. I looked around, not seeing any identifying numbers on the doors (I am so American). I tried again. And again. Then I heard someone.

Santos opened the door, and laughed. I tried to tell him that I had tried (but I didn't remember the palabra for try: it's intentar by the way), but instead, made him lock me out again so that I could get it to work. Which of course it did. 

All in all, the night ended well. I learned the ENTIRE route of the Santander bus system, watched a soccer game with Santos (It was Espana y Turqueo, y muy deficil por Espana), and I learned some new words such as: regla (o norma), ataquar, defender, y arbitro. 

Definitely going to need to get on Russ to send me my dictionary... and the camera charger. The battery is already getting low! So put in the good word for me when you see him and H. Heffner H. Venga.

La noche es tarde, and daylight savings comes into effect here tomorrow. For those of you who have my phone number, more adventures await me when I try to get them to change the Irish number (cheers Bec!) to a Spanish number so it isn't a Euro per text. 

Love you all, miss you all.

Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment