The Story...

My photo
Russel and Anneke, established 9.24.2011

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Dia Tres

I am sooooo... American. And I love it! Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type who is American and wants to be European. I love our cheap (relatively) electricity, lots of hot running water, and ease of parking in big cities. But. We do not have panaderias, fruiterias, o carnecerias. These, mis amigos, son buenos

This afternoon, I took the bus to Universitad de Cantabria, and wandered around for a bit, in a downpour. It started off as such a beautiful day... some amigas and I set off to find the parainfo, the computer lab for the estudiantes de UC. It was one of the days that makes me love Europe: the smells of an old city, people out walking the street, the bakeries and heladieras with gelato... or close enough anyway. The waterfront is fantastic too, I will be sure to include pictures when I make it down there next. We also bought phone cards, made plans for Semana Santa (vamos a Sevilla!) and then parted ways. So when I set out on my own (again, in the downpour) it was a different experience. 

I never found the edificio that I was looking for, but I did find a spectacular vista of the city; the Palacio de Deportes and many of the older buildings of the city, separated by the parks of the university. 

And, I did make one exception to my new health routine for Spain. I had un pasteles, with flaky bread and chocolate, and it was fantastic. But the nice thing about European sweets is that they are rich and flavorful enough, that the thought of running afterwards makes you naseous from the get go. I've been a state officer, so no weight gain isn't too lofty of a goal right? Weight loss might be taking it a little far though. Oh well, that's why they have fire season!

No comments:

Post a Comment