The Story...

My photo
Russel and Anneke, established 9.24.2011

Friday, March 27, 2009

Dia Uno

Early morning this morning. Said goodbye to Russ... harder than I thought. Made it about twenty feet, called him and talked till I got on the plane. It was good that way. The 10 hour plane ride to Amsterdam was good, minus the screaming baby. Watched a few movies, got to know my travelling partner a little bit better. Experienced some turbulence at 8000 feet... not a fun experience. Darn those hot air pockets. 

In Madrid, Whitney and I parted ways. I frantically searched for my gate... passed by it twice... before realizing that there was a 30 minute delay anyway. Needless to say, I made it. Tried to speak Spanish twice, and failed. Twice. But I think it was just the American passport that gave it away. 

In Santander, it took me awhile to figure out my phone. It's Irish... always has been, and as far as I can tell, always will be. Finally got ahold of Violeta and Santo, who came and picked me up. I had pictured her from the phone call; yet when a sharp knock at the window I was standing at nearly made me jump out of my DanceCos, I knew that this was the woman. Violeta rushed in a grabbed me, kissed both cheeks... and I was in. Violeta, Santos and Damian are a wonderful family. I think this just might work. But I'm still keeping Oma on standby just in case things change. And I'm buying my ticket back to Madrid; but committing myself to June 4/5. 

You guys all better email a lot.

Oh, and Spain is cold. A lot like Corvallis. You would all feel right at home too!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it safely Anneke. Keep journaling please.

    ReplyDelete